You are hereHome >
Campaign for Health Care Reform
DEFENDING REFORMS FROM BIG PHARMA—MASSPIRG Legislative Director Deirdre Cummings, alongside State Sen. Mark Montigny (New Bedford), urges lawmakers to keep the Rx Gift Ban in place. MASSPIRG is committed to helping keep health costs down for consumers.
BEING A WATCHDOG ON HEALTH CARE REFORM
America’s health care system is structured for drug industry, insurance company, and medical specialty profits, not better health outcomes for you.
The Affordable Care Act was an historic step toward getting health care costs under control, but more needs to be done to protect its solvency as demographics change and costs continue to rise. We can do this without undermining the fundamental compact of ensuring all Americans have access to quality, affordable health care.
Passage of the federal health reform law was a historic achievement, but in Massachusetts it was a continuation of the reforms passed in 2006. Our priority now is to make sure state leaders focus on how on to deliver lower costs and better quality for consumers.
The cost of inaction to Massachusetts’ families would be overwhelming:
• If we don’t get our leaders to squeeze out the health care system's costly inefficiencies, the full cost of premiums will climb to $26,069 for family and $8,845 for individual employer-sponsored insurance by 2016.
• With these projected increases, the cost of a family health insurance policy will be equal to 41.2% of median household income.
To ensure Massachusetts continues to develop leading models of reform, MASSPIRG joined Campaign for Better Care, a broad coalition of organizations to tackle some of the biggest challenges left in health reform — lowering the cost while promoting more coordinated, efficient and better care.
- Transparency is fundamental to a thriving, participatory democracy.
- Staunching the flow of special interest money in our elections.
- Campaigning for more investment in transportation across the Commonwealth.
- Looking out for consumers, from bank fees to toxic toys.
- Working to shut down Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.
Tools & Resources
MASSPIRG Education Fund
How to stay informed about product recalls
Consumer Protections on New and Used Cars
How to Find Help for Consumer Problems
Our Changing Relationship with Driving and the Implications for America’s FutureMASSPIRG Education Fund
MASSPIRG grades the state legislators on key public interest issues
Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.
Your donation supports MASSPIRG's work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.