You are hereHome >
Report: Campaign for Zero Waste
Where There's Smoking, There's Fire
Key to map: (Town, Date, Deaths/Injuries/Damages.)
1. Amesbury April 28, 2001, 7-alarm fire destroys restaurant, left 11 families homeless, and closed 4 businesses.
2. Beverly July 23, 2001, 70-year old man died in an apartment fire.
3. Boston March 9, 2001, 22-year old person injured and $250,000 in damages done to an apartment building.
4. Boston May 23, 2001, 53-year old man died; $150,000 in damages to an apartment building.
5. Boston June 15, 2001, 2 firefighters treated for heat exhaustion and $1 million in damages to Macy's Department Store.
6. Dorchester March 21, 2001, two-and-one-half story home destroyed.
7. Easton July 12, 2001, 75-year old man died; $200,000 in damages to a one-story home.
8. Hopedale January 17, 2001 90-year old woman died when she dozed off while smoking; 1 firefighter injured; $90,000 in damages
9. Ipswich January 23, 2001, 33-year old woman and two daughters, ages 3-years and 5-months, died; two-and-one-half story home destroyed.
10. Lawrence March 19, 2001, one firefighter injured at fire in supermarket and beauty supply store.
11. Lowell February 19, 2001, 3-alarm fire destroyed a 6-family home.
12. New Bedford March 31, 2001, 53-year old man died; 2 others injured; single-family home destroyed.
13. Newton May 30, 2001, 53-year old woman died in 3-alarm fire at an elderly housing complex.
14. North Attleboro February 17, 2001, 90-year old woman injured in a three-family house fire.
15. Norwood January 29, 2001, 42-year old woman died.
16. Plainville August 9, 2001, 62-year old woman died in 2-alarm fire in her trailer home.
17. Plainville October 31, 2001, mobile home destroyed; $25-30,000 in damages.
18. Roxbury February 1, 2001, one injury and damages of $50,000.
19. Salem April 28, 2001, 47-year old father of four died; two families left homeless.
20. Somerville February 13, 2001, damages of $3,000.
21. Somerville March 3, 2001, 57-year old man died in a fire in a four-unit house.
22. Springfield February 7, 2001, one person died and one was injured.
23. Taunton February 4, 2001, convenience store destroyed.
24. Wareham April 3, 2001, 50-year old man died; two children and a firefighter injured; $180,000 in damages to split-level home.
25. Westborough February 17, 2001, 6-alarm fire that left 400 families homeless and did over $1.5 million in damages to an apartment building.
26. Woburn March 31, 2001, 45-year old woman died in 2-alarm fire in a rooming house.
Tools & Resources
MASSPIRG Education Fund
How to stay informed about product recalls
Consumer Protections on New and Used Cars
Call our Consumer Action Center for help: 781-335-0280
Our Changing Relationship with Driving and the Implications for America’s FutureMASSPIRG Education Fund
MASSPIRG grades the state legislators on key public interest issues
Defend the CFPB
Tell your senators to oppose the “Financial CHOICE Act,” which would gut Wall Street reforms and destroy the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as we know it.
Your donation supports MASSPIRG's work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.